In the wake of Christmas, bellies are full, closets full of gifts but unfortunately wallets are empty! Don’t panic, this is not a problem in London because the period of winter sales starts on December, 26th with the famous « Boxing Day ».
What is the « Boxing Day » ?
Its origin dates back to the Middle Ages in the United Kingdom. Indeed, the day after Christmas in churches, they used to open boxes where were collected money or objects for the poor and they would distribute them.
It is also told that formerly, the servants had their day off and received as a gift the leftovers of the Christmas meal so they can share it with their families.
This day is important in the field of sports (football and rugby mainly) where are played matches between local rivals.
Nowadays, « Boxing Day » is above all a « shopping party » that launches the winter sales in the United Kingdom. This is a public holiday but no rest for the stores, turned into real boxing rings where elbows shots gush out and where customers are queuing up.
Why to do the sales in London ?
London is somehow a fashion capital: a rather extravagant fashion but a well-known fashion throughout the world. If the prices are usually high, the sales are very advantageous here. During the last week of the sales, the stores can apply 80% discounts. The sales usually last until January 31rd and attract many tourists.
To manage your shopping during the winter sales, it is difficult to give a specific location because you can do your shopping EVERYWHERE in London (and we can’t complain about it ☺) Moreover, there is something to suit all tastes and budgets, so there is no reason not to crack!
Some must-see places
- Oxford Street: you will find well-known brands and shops in England (Primark, Urban Outfitters, Top Shop, Selfridges…)
- Regent Street: this street is renowned to be chic with retailers such as Hamleys and Liberty and a great Apple Store.
- Brick Lane or Camden flea markets: for the lovers of cheap and vintage items
- Bond Street: sales are the perfect time to invest in luxury brands (Tiffany Co, Louis Vuitton, Burberry…) and why not going for a stroll in South Kensington to visit the Chanel or the Stella McCartney boutique? 😉
- Carnaby Street: if you want to mix shopping and gastronomy, this is the place to go ! More than 150 brands and 50 restaurants. Feel free to visit the new designers’ shops if you are in the vicinity.
Still not convinced? Here are some good reasons to let yourself be tempted:
– You can spend the money you received for Christmas while making you new gifts
– You can enjoy a little more the decorations and lightnings of the city
– Go ahead and start to prepare your gifts for next Christmas! Shop smart 😉
Let’s put your most comfortable sneakers and let’s go shopping !
For more good deals : House London Trip